China Trade Centre Tasmania Australia
Issued: 26/09/2008   
Select your language English | Chinese

| Links | Photos | Contact Us | Member Login | Print | Email
Introduction Membership Business & Trade Investments Immigration Education Tourism Events Notice Board

Student Visa


The Overseas Student Program (OSP) allows overseas students to come to Australia to participate in study at various levels, including, secondary, tertiary, post-graduate vocational and non-award courses.

Anyone wishing to study in Australia is required to obtain an appropriate student visa before commencing any course. To be granted a Student visa your enrolment must be in a registered course on a full-time basis.

There are currently almost 250,000 students participating in Australia's Overseas Student Program.

Primary/Secondary student visa to Australia

The Primary/Secondary Student visa is a temporary visa designed for students who intend to participate in a primary school course, a secondary school course or an approved secondary school exchange program.
There are two categories of schools in Australia - public (government funded) and private schools.

Schooling in Australia begins with a preparatory year followed by a total of twelve years of primary and secondary school.  

Vocational education and training student visa to Australia

The Vocational Education and Training Student visa is a temporary visa designed for students who have applied to complete a certificate 1 to 4 (except ELICOS), diploma, advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or a vocational graduate diploma.
Australia's Vocational Education and Training (VET) system provides training to students that are both practical and career-oriented.

Students studying in Australia can develop their own career path through a mix of study and practical work.


Post-Graduate research student via to Australia

The Post-Graduate Research Student visa is designed for students who want to study a Masters degree by research or a Doctoral degree in Australia.

Non-Award Student Visa to Australia

The Non-Award Student Visa is designed for international students who are enrolled in a foundation, bridging or other course that does not lead to the award of an Australian degree, diploma or other formal award.

Student immigration

Students who have graduated and have the appropriate experience are eligible to apply for permanent residence generally under the category of Skilled Independent Migration (Point Score required) See Immigration.

Important Note

The information given above may have changed since the issue date. Readers are advised to check with the Department of Immigration on the Australian Government’s website for the latest details on regulations, point score, skilled occupation list, fee charges, forms, etc. at

Since there is a very wide range of education courses offered by private training organisations, it is recommended that you also check with the National Training Service (NTIS) database on their website at as it has a national register of all recognised qualifications and courses, as well as Registered Training Organisations (RTO).



Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | © 2008 China Trade Centre Tasmania