There are numerous categories on how a person can come to Australia, either to visit or to immigrate. For skilled and business people of working age from China, there are three categories that would be appropriate under normal circumstances:
- Skilled Independent Migration (Point Score required)
- Employer Nomination Scheme
- Business Migration
The current score for Skilled Independent Migration is 105. The score for a priority pass mark is 110. In addition to categories for skills, age and language skills there are also categories for areas as such as Australian qualifications and bonus points.
Points for skill
The occupation you nominate must be on the Skilled Occupation List current at the time you apply, and should be one which fits your skills and qualifications. You receive the points allocated for your nominated occupation as long as the relevant assessment authority for your nominated skilled occupation determines that your skills are suitable.
- For most occupations where training is specific to the occupation – 60 points
- For more general professional occupations – 50 points
- For other general skilled occupations – 40 points
Points for age
- 18 to 29 years – 30 points
- 30 to 34 years – 25 points
- 35 to 39 points – 20 points
- 40 to 44 years – 15 points
Points for English language ability
- Vocational English – 15 points
- Competent English – 20 points
Points for specific work experience
- If your nominated occupation is worth 60 points under Skill and you have worked in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation, for at least 3 of the 4 years before you apply – 10 points.
- If your nominated occupation is worth 40, 50 or 60 points under Skill, and you have worked in skilled employment (any occupation o the Skilled Occupation List) for the last 3 of the 4 years before you applied – 5 points.
Points for occupation in demand/job offer
A number of occupations have been identified as been in demand in Australia – the list is called the Migration Occupation In Demand List (MODL). You receive points if your nominated occupation is on the MODL which is current at the time your application is assessed.
Points for Australian qualifications
Applicants with Australian qualifications have a greater chance of employment in Australia. You may receive points if you have completed an Australian qualification from an Australian educational institution, studying for at least 12-months full time (one academic year) in Australia. Your qualification must be an Australian post-secondary degree (or higher qualification), diploma, advance diploma or trade qualification.
- For an Australian qualification – 5 points
Points for spouse skills
You may receive points if your spouse is also able to satisfy the basic requirements of age. English language ability, qualifications, nominated occupation and recent work experience and has obtained a suitable skill assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated occupation.
- Points for Spouse skills – 5 points.
You may receive points for any one of the following:
Capital investment in Australia (minimum of $100,000), Australian work experience (you must have legally worked in Australia in a specific occupation for at least six (6) months in the four years before you apply), fluency in one of Australia’s community languages (other than English).
Only for skilled – Australian sponsored applicants
Points for Relationship
You may receive points if you or your spouse have a relative who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident and is willing to sponsor you. You or your spouse must be related to the sponsor as either a non-dependent child, a parent, a brother or sister, or a niece or nephew.
- Points of relationship – 15 points